Friday, June 18, 2010

Several recaps...

Wow - it's been over a month since I last posted. Not a good track record for keeping loyal readers, I'll give you that. Let's see if I can give a bit of a recap - Mother's Day in NYC was awesome. No we did not get a chance to venture into Tiffany's but I did get a bunch of beads for my Pandora bracelet and enjoyed a yummy latte in Bryant Park with my favorite man. Doesn't get much better than that.

In other news, the back deck/gazebo is coming along nicely. We are currently in a holding pattern waiting for the roofing shingles to get delivered and we still need to decide what to purchase for deck boards. This has become the never-ending project, but it has to get done eventually, right? Preferably this year so we can at least USE it before winter arrives...again...

In exercise news, I have totally fallen off the workout bandwagon. I have no idea how it happened - it just did. I now get weekly calls from the fitness center asking where I am. But to be honest, I was doing a bit of outside jogging back in May but of course that doesn't count as far as the fitness center goes. Whatever. They're still getting their monthly dues so they can't be that upset. Of course this doesn't bode well for my "get fit" regime that I started BEFORE New Years. Neither does the fact that I had 2 tubs of cookie dough in my freezer from one of B's fundraisers, one of which has since been opened for baking... But I have every intention of getting back on that bandwagon, especially now that we have decided which dress we will be wearing for my best friend's wedding next year. It's gorgeous and elegant and a bit form fitting around the waist and hips. And I vow not to have to by any of that spanx stuff to fit in it. That's motivation right there I tell ya!

Most recently I have been having a hard time dealing with the fact that the school year is pretty much over. Where the heck did that year go?? Yesterday was B's graduation from the Academy that he's been attending since he was 4. Yes, he's been going there for 3 years and has attended every single program they offer - Nursery School, Pre-Kindergarten, Junior Kindergarten (his second year was a mix of these 2 classes) and most recently Kindergarten Enrichment to supplement the public school half day Kindergarten. Three years and over $30K in tuition (yes I just did the math - that's more than J and I paid for college - combined!) but in truth it was the best money ever spent. That school is simply fabulous and B has loved every minute of it. He has even admitted recently that he has more fun and does more stuff at the Academy than he does at the public school. I figured that would be the case. But alas, his tenure there has come to an end and I think it was more emotional for me than it was for him. At the graduation I saw several of the parents that we've met and kept in touch with over the years. It's like we all suddenly realized that this was our kid's last hurrah at this school, but thankfully most of these kids live in town so they will be seeing each other as they continue on in school. But then they presented gifts to the teachers and the teachers cried. Then several parents were presented with gifts from the teachers and the parents cried. It was quite the ceremony and I was thoroughly unprepared for the emotional-ness of it all. But now we're looking ahead to next year and all the challenges that first grade brings. I think B is ready for it. It's going to be another story for me though.

No comments: