Thursday, October 16, 2008

Excerpt from the new book

Just wanted to let you all know that I am in fact putting together a children's story as I first mentioned here. The progress has been slow (I only have 8 pages so far) but I'm about a third of the way through the story. So for those of you who are interested, here is an excerpt from chapter 2 -

********************
After a nice breakfast of oatmeal and fruit, Brady quickly finished his glass of milk and headed for the door to put on his shoes. He was so excited that he was finally going to see the tree house. He was still putting on his jacket as he ran out the door and started down the driveway.
“Come ON mom! You’re going too slow!” he exclaimed.
Near Brady’s swing set at the bottom of the hill, they turned onto a little path that the deer use to cut across the yard. Brady started running towards the tree house, making sure to jump over the branches and rocks that were on the path. It had rained the night before and the ground was quite wet and muddy in some places. As he got closer to the house he realized just how big it really was. And high up too! It was a very cloudy morning, with drops of rain falling from the leaves of the tree. The entire area seemed to get darker as he approached the house.
“Whoa!” Brady said as he got closer to the tree, “that’s a really big tree house! I wonder who built it?”
“I don’t know,” his mom replied, “it was here when we bought our house. But I’ve never seen anyone play in it.” Just then there was a loud rustling in the bushes behind Brady.
“What was that?” he asked as he whirled around to look at the bush, but his mom had already started walking around to the other side of the big tree and hadn’t heard him. So Brady quickly followed his mother to the other side while looking cautiously back towards the bush.
“Mom, there’s something in that bush over there,” he spoke softly as he walked up next to her.
“Oh, it’s probably just a squirrel or a chipmunk,” she replied. “They’re pretty busy this time of year getting ready for winter.”
“Oh, ok,” he responded, although Brady thought that whatever made the noise in the bush had to be bigger than a squirrel.
As they approached the other side of the tree, Brady ran over to the ladder and quickly forgot about the rustling in the bush.
********************

So what do you think? Good, bad, whatever - please comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its good so far..I tried to read it to E.. but its fridaynight movie night.. and the Backyardgans are in charge right now... but I will read it to him and provide his feedback as well.

Katie said...

Hi, sorry I havent been able to look at your blog yet. I have been crazy busy! Well tell Brendan that his bike is super cool. Also your house looks great! All that shingle staining! I cant wait to see your wedding photos!